Melvin Benson Jr., DDS, FAGD
After receiving his Bachelor of Science degree in Microbiology from the University of Oklahoma, Dr. Melvin Benson earned his Doctorate of Dental Surgery from the University of Oklahoma School of Dentistry in 2006. After graduating, Dr. Benson has sought out any opportunity to pursue continuing education and refine his skills. He has authored a book titled Changing the Way You Go to the Dentist and in 2018 he was one of the 6% of general dentists to earn a Fellowship from the Academy of General Dentistry.
Listen To Dr. Benson’s Radio Invterview
Dr. Benson has completed the following continuing education programs to further his dental knowledge post graduating dental school.
- Completing the Core Curriculum at The Dawson Academy, a post-graduate institute dedicated to making good dentists even better through Advanced Dental Techniques and Procedures
- Completed Dawson Academy Evaluation, Diagnosis and Treatment of Sleep Disorders
- Completing a residency in surgical dental implant placement and bone grafting from the prestigious McGarry Implant Institute in Oklahoma City
- Obtaining certification in Adult Conscious Sedation from DOCS Education, a nationwide training program that helps practicing dentists learn how to ensure the highest level of patient comfort and safety during sedation dentistry
- Completing the TMD Diagnosis and Treatment Masters Track at the Dawson Academy for Advanced Dental Studies
- Continues to share his knowledge and experience as a Dawson Scholar, Dawson Ambassador, and former Dawson Study Club Leader of Colorado
- Completing a residency in Oral Facial Pain, TMD Disorders, and Dental Sleep Medicine through Louisiana State University School of Dental of Medicine
Professional Affiliations & Awards
- 5280 Top Dentist 2020
- The Best of Greeley and Weld County Magazine’s Best Dentist 2015-2019
- Member of the Academy of General Dentistry
- Member of the Dawson Alumni Association
- Co-Founder for the Dawson Study Club of Colorado
- Member of the American Academy of Osseointegration
In addition to his professional affiliations, Dr. Benson has dedicated a great deal of time to charitable causes, sharing his skills with those without access to professional dental care. Some of the highlights of his community service include:
- Participates in Freedom Day USA, which provides free dental care to active military, veterans, and their spouses. To find out more about this wonderful charity go to www.freedomdayusa.org.
- Annual Marine Foundation Toys for Tots Toy Drive
- The “Schools for a Healthy Lifestyle” Adopt-a-Dentist of the Year for promoting dental education for school-aged children.
- Awarded the “Hometown Hero Award” from the Oklahoma Dental Foundation for his extensive work with Children’s Dental Needs of Oklahoma.
- Worked with the Oklahoma Dental Foundation’s Mobile Dental Care Unit providing much needed dental care to patients in rural areas.
Outside the office Dr. Benson enjoys spending time with his family, Jeeping, fishing, golfing, scuba diving, and traveling. He and his family are actively involved in the community, supporters of the Marine Corps JROTC program, Greeley community events such as the Festival of Trees and Movie Nights, other religious and civic organizations.